12/09/2008

Review: The New Topping Book


The New Topping Book, by Dossie Easton and Janet W. Hardy, is a delightful little paperback on all things topping in BDSM. This book is a how-to guide on BDSM, from pitfalls and rewards of being a top/Dom/Master to suggestions, hilarious anecdotes, personal stories, and humor.

My review? Buy it, buy it, buy it! This book is a gem!!! I adored this book so much it is hard to put into words, and being an English teacher and incredibly well-read individual, I'm pretty darn picky about books I recommend!

Why is this book so great? First, there is something in it for everyone. In my opinion, this book should be required reading for anyone interested in BDSM. Whether you are a top, bottom, switch, unsure, or simply curious, read it! Being a sub, I was afraid this book would not be geared toward my interests, but I was amazed. I learned so much that made me respect what tops do. There are tips in it for bottoms, as well. In the end, this book did not convince me to become a top, but rather gave me a deep appreciate for what my Dom does (or could do!), my special role as bottom, and the communication and intimacy available through BDSM. It also made me want to try switching from time to time, just to "switch it up"! :)

Second, the writing style is superb. The book is short, catchy, and light, so it's a fast read. There are no grammatical errors or mistakes, and the authors have such a great way of communicating that I felt I was sitting with two girlfriends having a cup of tea and laughing about sex, rather than reading a book. There were time I laughed aloud! I loved this book and will be reading it again...and again...and again.

What topics do the authors discuss? Well, they explain what tops do. This book is very inclusive, and all genders, sexual orientations, and sub-groups of BDSM are going to feel included and acknowledged. They give encouragement for bad days and suggestions to make them better. They give you permission to fail, and the self-respect to succeed. The book also includes erotica, personal stories from the authors and their personal friends, a Bill of Rights and Bill of Responsibilities for tops and bottoms, and a long list of great new activities to try. "Safety first!" is the authors' theme throughout, and there are some great tips for being safe and secure throughout your play sessions. All in all, this book covers everything you could ever want to know about tops and BDSM.

So, no matter who you are: vanilla or kinky, Dom, Master, top or bottom, male or female, gay or straight, beginner or expert, read this book. If you have a lover who you want to introduce to BDSM in a light, pressure-free way, buy him this book. If you want to be a better top, bottom, friend, or lover, buy this book.

In the meantime, I'm eagerly awaiting when I can read the authors' other bestseller, The New Bottoming Book... stay tuned!

No comments: