12/11/2008

Why Not to Shop at Cybernooky.com

I (Sub) hesistate to do a wholly negative review, but I feel if I am committed to helping my readers find healthy and positive sex toy shops, I should be committed to helping you avoid the bad ones, too. We want you to frequent stores where you can feel good about your purchase, and hopefully develop a long-lasting relationship with your store, where you come back again and again due to the quality of service, information, and products provided. And I can say without hesitation that Cybernooky.com is not one of those stores.

To see the criteria with which we judge sex toy stores, please see our previous post.

As a sex educator and blogger, I come into contact with lots of toy stores. I know what makes a good store, a quality site, and a great product. Overall, I have been absolutely thrilled by the customer service responses I've received from Babeland, Good Vibrations, and Lelo; I'm developing great relationships with these stores! When I buy sex toys, I want to leave feeling good about myself, not sleazy and cheap. Sex can be a joyful celebration of God blessing two people, or it can be a sin. It is as simple as that. Make sure your sexual practices, sex toys, and sex toys stores reflect the most positive aspects of sexual experience.

I can say without a doubt that of the many stores I've corresponded with, Cybernooky has been by far the rudest. I was so taken aback by their employee, Terry's, customer service response that I seethed for days, then decided to research their site and ultimately, warn my readers: Do not shop there!

Why? See how Cybernooky measures up to our customer expectations:
  1. Anal Lube Test: Fail, fail, fail! Cynbernooky fails this test! And if a store fails the Anal Lube Test, #2-9 don't matter; you still shouldn't shop there. Cynbernooky sells desensitizing anal lube, which can do terrible damage to customers. Sex toy stores know this lube can hurt you, and if they sell it anyway, you don't want to shop there!
  2. Atmosphere: Again, not good. The site is full of sleazy girl pictures, not healthy and sexy models. There is nothing wrong with being sexy, but we want stores to model good, open, healthy sexual behaviors, not exploit the skinny-blond-with-huge-tits stereotype. Buy from stores that respect you as a person, not as a horny shallow jerk.
  3. Site Design: No complaints there. The site is fine, although they have an overwhelming number of sex toy categories. Usually, the higher quality stores will have several (5-15) toy categories, but not 25 or more. You want a store worried about quality, not sheer quantity.
  4. Site Professionalism: There are basic typos on the homepage and several grammatical and spelling errors on the "About Us" section. If stores can't write at an above high-school level, do you really want to buy from them?
  5. Toy Variety: Cybernooky has lots and lots of toys; I can't deny that.

  6. Products: As a product and store reviewer, I recognize quality toys and the cheap knock-offs. Cybernooky sells a Hitachi wand and one Layaspot vibrator, but most of their dildos and vibrators are cheaper imitations of more famous, quality brands. They also sell sex dolls, fucking machines, plastic asses, and other toys considered more "sleazy" and less "upscale" in the sex toy business.
  7. Customer Service: speed of reply. Well, for my first question, I did receive a speedy reply; however, my follow-up was completely ignored. This is so rude I find it hard to believe it even happens. Email takes seconds to read and reply to; companies who won't bother to respond to your requests are not worth your business! Would you buy from a store clerk who, when you smiled and greeted him with a nice, "Good morning!", looked at you coldly, shrugged, and turned away without answering?
  8. Customer Service: friendliness and politeness. Fail, fail, fail! The first response I got, while speedy, was incredibly rude and abrupt. All the other toy stores have had absolutely fantastic, friendly customer service reps who were eager to help me answer my questions. This one had no greeting, no signature, and no "thanks for responding," just one abrupt sentence. Undeterred, I wrote back, maintaining my happy, positive attitude. The second response was a completely rude, "Stop wasting our time." Needless to say, any store who believes your questions and concerns are a waste of their time is not worth buying from!
  9. Informational Articles: Many quality shops are interested in helping customers have better, healthier romantic relationships. Sex is just a part of that. Articles on romance, relationships, and sex, how-to guides, buyer's guides for new customers, product reviews, staff blogs and editorials, and educational articles and books are often found on quality stores' sites. Needless to say, Cybernooky just sells toys: no education or help here.

Again, I hate to write negative reviews. Even for mostly-bad products or stores, I can usually find one or two good things to write about. I hate being put in the position of singling out a store, but I feel I cannot ethically endorse a store I believe will be bad for my readers. You deserve a great sex toy store where you can love the products and learn lots! And so, the unfortunate but necessary point of today's blog is: Don't buy from Cybernooky!

Post script: I would like to point out that, after viewing this blog, I received an email from Cybernooky explaining their point of view (please see comments below) and they apologized for the rudeness and took some of my criticism into account and changed their site categories accordingly.

2 comments:

Sexperts said...

The following is the comment from Cybernooky. To be fair, I want to put their input as well. There seems to have been some sort of glitch in the email system for it to have sent 5 times and without the rest of my information. On a side note, it is normal for many stores to send free merchandise in exchange for a review. That said, here is the response:

We read your blog and found it very interesting and very false. There are 2 sides to every story how about putting ours there. First you sent us an email with just your name and nothing else on the form other than for us to click on your link which we did and it bounced back to us.

Then we said yes you can review us but we do not pay for blogs. You said that is fine you were not asking for compensation but then you asked us for free merchandise which to us is a form of compensation. We also received 5 pieces of email with the same thing which told us you were a player.

We get hundreds of emails daily and we try and weed out the good with the bad ones. We sometimes disregard them when we get errors back saying bad email. You are bad mouthing us with your blog without really knowing us. We have been in business over 25 yrs and have always helped anyone who requested information from us. You did not want information, all we saw was you trying to get something for free that is why you received the answers you did. If you had done the blog of us properly then showed it to us i assure you there would have been better communication.
Terry Richards Pres.
www.cybernooky.com
www.fantasiesinlace.ccom

Sexperts said...

Then we said yes you can review us but we do not pay for blogs. You said that is fine you were not asking for compensation but then you asked us for free merchandise which to us is a form of compensation. We also received 5 pieces of email with the same thing which told us you were a player.

We get hundreds of emails daily and we try and weed out the good with the bad ones. We sometimes disregard them when we get errors back saying bad email. You are bad mouthing us with your blog without really knowing us. We have been in business over 25 yrs and have always helped anyone who requested information from us. You did not want information, all we saw was you trying to get something for free that is why you received the answers you did. If you had done the blog of us properly then showed it to us i assure you there would have been better communication.
Terry Richards Pres.
www.cybernooky.com
www.fantasiesinlace.ccom