1/05/2009

Review: Intro Anal Beads and Copper Swirl Anal Plug

This week, I was thrilled to receive a late Christmas package in the mail: my first anal toy experience, anal beads and a beginner's-size butt plug from The Adult Toy Shoppe! I quickly opened my package, locked the door, and began to experiment. Since I am an anal-toy beginner, this guide will help potential anal fiends begin to explore two of the most common types of anal sex toys: beads and plugs.


Most of us, even the most sheltered, have seen anal beads in comedy movies or heard about them from friends. Rumor has it pulling the beads out is supposed to intensify orgasms, which sounds fun, so the first thing I tried were the Intro Anal Beads ($7.99 at Adult Toy Shoppe).



The beads are small and perfect for beginners. They are also made of slick jelly material, not plastic, making them slide in and out easier. Another plus is they come on a bendable strand, making them easier to insert than the more traditional plastic-beads-on-a-string approach. Overall, I would definitely recommend this for beginners. The strand of beads was smaller than I expected (whew!) so I was much relieved. In fact, the smallest bead is about the size of a pea, and even the largest on the graduated strand is smaller than average human feces---so there are no worries about something going in or out of your bum that won't comfortably fit! If you are a beginner, I think these beads are a great choice for you.

The rule with anal is to always, always, always use lube--and never desensitizing or numbing lube--but I tried it first without lube, just to see. As expected, even the smallest beads were hard to get in, and even when relaxing and going slowly, I couldn't put it in past the first few beads. The moral of this story? Use lubricant. Once I lubed up, things went easier. I was glad for the small, unintimidating size since I was still having trouble wrapping my brain around the idea of sticking a foreign object up my butt; I kept tensing up and having to force myself to relax and breathe in. At first, I was unsure how to use the bendable strand (should I stick it in straight? bent? would it bend naturally to my body? I am not that familiar with human anatomy) but as I went slowly, slipping it out and then more and more in gradually, I got the hang of it. I did find it was easier to insert them when I was lying on my back, using a mirror, than when I was kneeling on all fours. I eventually got all the beads in without pain or discomfort, and it was a very unique feeling inside!

I tried several different techniques for reviewing purposes. First, I know in BDSM many Doms are interested in forcing their subs to wear anal beads out in public, sometimes even all day, and I wasn't sure how that would work. But once they were all the way in, I was pleasantly surprised to find I could easily stand, walk, and sit in them without discomfort. The circled grip, made of soft, bendable jelly, fit comfortably between my cheeks, so I could sit without problem. Inside, I could feel the beads and they felt perfectly comfortable, just like having in a tampon. But one word of warning if you are a sub whose Dom wants you to try this: walking was normally fine, but at times without warning I would losen up and the beads would start to slip out! If you play with forced anal beads in public, plan to make emergency dashes to the restroom if needed.

What goes up must come down, and this was no exception. I did not really like the feeling of the beads coming out when I pulled quickly--the answer to this is lube, lube, lube, lube. You can do damage to sensitive tissues if you rip the beads out without enough lube, and in my case it did kind of hurt. However, I found pulling them out verrrry slowly, one bead popping out at a time, felt nice and very sexy for me, so to each her own.

I can almost hear the gasps now: "But how do you do anal play without touching poop?!" The answer is, if you do anal play enough, you don't. Luckily, feces don't usually reside in the first few inches of the rectum, so something small (like a finger) has a good chance of coming out clean. But longer toys, such as anal beads, go much farther in than a few inches, so there may be poop on them when you pull them out. If that grosses you out, you can always try an enema beforehand to get the whole area washed out. Personally, I'm not brave enough to voluntarily give myself an enema, so I'd suggest keeping some wipes and a towel handy. Once you are done with play, just go wash your hands and the beads with hot, soapy water... or, if you're me, compulsively scrub the beads three times, using nearly-scalding water and enough soap to kill an army of bad bacteria.

In the end, I think this is a very good buy for beginners, and it is only $7.99 + shipping. (A side note: The Adult Toy Shoppe does require you to have orders of up to $20 including shipping, so you will have to buy something else as well.) The only way I would not recommend it is if you suffer from hemorroids, because the strand will aggravate them and make them worse. If you buy them, use lots of lube, go slowly and relax, and don't feel the need to use the whole strand of beads the first time. Eventually, you will get used to this toy.

The second item I tried from this store was the Copper Swirl Anal Plug ($10.99). This plug appealed to my girly side because it is bright and colorful, and makes me happy to look at! It is also great for beginners because it is small, thin, and made of a soft material so the whole plug is bendy and squishable. For me, it is much less intimidating to stick something bendable and squishy into my butt than something hard and painful!

Once again, I did not have success with the plug until I put lube on; I could not even get it partway in. This just proves: for anything anal, use lube!!! Once I put in lube, the plug slid in without problem. I did have trouble getting it in at first; the plug is so bendable it kept bending and sliding down, missing my anus. With patience and a mirror, I got it to work.

This plug is small, thin, and comfortable. It has spiral ridges around it, for a unique twisty feeling if you want to rotate the plug while inside you, but I did not try this. I didn't keep the plug in for long, because I was sore from the aforementioned beads-with-hemorroids problem, but I wasn't as huge a fan of it as I am the beads. If you are an anal beginner, I would recommend buying the beads and leaving the plug til later, once you are comfortable with the smaller beads. Eventually, you can work up to this plug and later, even bigger and badder plugs, til you are an all-around anal rock star!

If you'd like, visit the Adult Toy Shoppe and browse through their many other anal and sex toys. A word of caution: this store does sell anal desensitizing (numbing) lube, which is not safe for healthy anal sex (find out why).

*Note: All pictures shown here are the property of The Adult Toy Shoppe.

No comments: