12/08/2008

Review: The Hummingbird







The Hummingbird from Babeland Toys (also called the Clit Hummer) is a waterproof vibe made of hard plastic. Babeland sells it for $20, and other sites for a little more.


I'll start with the positive reviews first. I was really excited to get this toy! The site says the cupped side can be used to "cradle the clit" and the nub to "pinpoint pleasure." It sounded like a fantastic idea! Also, this vibe, which runs on 2 AA batteries, has a super smooth vibration with a really varied range of speeds; I love this feature. It is great to go from a gentle whisper to a powerful shake, and this toy has that versatility. Also, it is super quiet! Even on its highest settings, the vibration stays smooth and the noise level is a gentle hum. It's also waterproof and easy to clean.



On the negative side, this vibe didn't do for me what it was supposed to: deliver consistent orgasms. I was disappointed that the "clit cradle" experience was actually just rather ho-hum (pun intended). Of course, different vibes work for different women, but this just didn't work for me. Sometimes I would enjoy the sensation, and sometimes I just would lie there waiting and staring at the ceiling, but I rarely orgasmed. I do feel it fair to mention that this vibe did give me one amazing orgasm. I'm not sure what was different that day (alignment of the stars? I was more turned on?), but out of nowhere, the low vibrations began to turn me on, and when I turned it up to high, I was immediately shaken by an earth-shattering, long-lasting O. It was hot! However, after several weeks of play sessions, that one lone O remains an isolated event I have been unable to replicate. In fact, usually playing with this toy is pretty blah. Sometimes I get turned on, but for such a genius design idea, I am often left wondering what I'm doing wrong.


Now, today as I prepared for my review, I was browsing photos and other reviews. Since I'd assumed the nub was for clit play, I'd been using it that way and was unimpressed. So you can imagine I was surprised to learn it is also made for the G-spot. I gamely tried it out, and again got so-so results. First, this vibe is hard. It is not made for comfortable insertion. I used lube, relaxed, breathed slowly, and proceeded carefully. Needless to say, the hard plastic and funky shape aren't really made for vaginal insertion, and I would never recommend it for fucking. It reminded me a lot of a trip to the ob-gyn, and not in a good way.

Once inside, I found the large shape and strong vibe pleasurable. I experimented with different positions, trying to find my G-spot, but when rotating it had to be very careful about that pesky nub. It simply isn't vagina-friendly. It was a turn on, but still no O, and for several minutes after use my insides were sore from that hard plastic nub. So, I would give it a big thumbs-down for internal use; find something softer and smoother.

Overall, I wasn't thrilled with this vibe, which was a disappointment. However, for just 20 bucks, it is worth a shot just to see if you like it, since "different strokes for different folks" and all that. Plus, I would say it is a great stocking stuffer or bachelorette party gift since it is pretty, comes from a great company, and super cheap. Overall, I would say avoid it for yourself and invest in something more expensive, smoother, and made of softer material. Happy humming!

No comments: